Soon

October 31, 2012 § 12 Comments

Tasks occupy me.  Important and worthy tasks.  But these tasks keep me right now from my heart’s calling- to write and to read.

This deferral though is a good thing because when I return, I’ll come with an even clearer and deeper appreciation for the rightness of the work that I have put aside.

This, I believe, is true of all things.  No real joy without pain.  No real wisdom without wandering.  So pain and wandering and distance from the people and the things we love- these are all good and necessary pieces of our life.

Soon.

Tagged: , ,

§ 12 Responses to Soon

• jolynproject says:

“No real joy without pain. No real wisdom without wandering. So pain and wandering and distance from the people and the things we love- these are all good and necessary pieces of our life.” Love this.

• Julianna says:

This place, where you are right now, is exactly where you’re meant to be. Remember you are Loved.

• PJ Swanwick says:

Life interrupts. There is pain. And yet . . . If we can cultivate the attitude of doing what we love, and then recognize that the tasks all serve the goal of doing what we love, then that lessens the pain.

For example, I cook because I love knowing that my children are growing up strong and healthy. I do dishes because I love my husband, and he values order and neatness. I DON’T scrub toilets–I hire someone to do that, even if it means I sacrifice something else, such as some new books I’d like to buy.

Do everything out of love, or don’t do it at all. There’s always a more creative way of looking at the pain.

• Tasks. Seems like such a remedial word for something that could keep you from your writing. But even these “tasks” have their place, as you suggest.

• Suddenly Jamie (@suddenlyjamie) says:

As someone participating in this month’s Nanowrimo while needing to continue working on the client projects and life stuff that keep my world turning, I can relate.

The interesting thing to me is that often it is when those must-do tasks are thickest that I find I am most productive on my “real” work. It’s like the lack of easy openings in my schedule underlines the finite nature of time available for me in the Big Picture. So, I buckle down and make those nooks and crannies … bringing a bit of “soon” into each day.

Good luck with your reading and writing. Those are, I agree, a true heart’s calling.

Tom, ‘Soon’ what a beautiful piece of writing: wishing you the best; sending peace love and light.

• I love what you wrote…”No real wisdom without wandering.” I look forward to reading all that you bring back with you.

I’ve had to put my work aside also for a time. Sometimes, it’s just what we have to do. I was gone for 4 days, hurt my back while on my journey, and am recuperating and spending very little time at my computer.
    I’ve deleted over 200 emails and notifications because I’ve gotten so far behind and I figure when the time is right I will pick up where I left off….or maybe I’ll go in another direction. Who knows?
    All in good time…all in good time.

• I am really struggling with the last line of your post. In it this very moment. Very good timing Thomas as always. Thank you.

• That is so true. Without it, we would not have a true understanding of what we have. Complacency sets in and we become less aware of our true gifts.

• Janelle says:

Life interrupts. You’ll be back!